A. Guidelines for completing SFQ (for students)
The SFQ Survey is very important to the Quality Assurance
of the University's educational programs. Students are reminded to adhere to these guidelines when completing the Survey.
- Read each question carefully.
- Base your responses on your own overall experience of this course, not a single incident.
- Present your views clearly, preferably with concrete examples.
- Personal attacks are STRICTLY FORBIDDEN.
- Please answer in English.
In addition, you are reminded of the following:
- Avoid leaving the system idle too long, this will lead to a session timeout and possibly data loss.
- DO NOT close the tab / browser or press the navigation arrows (i.e. Forward / Backward buttons) of the browsers while completing the questionnaires. This again can lead to data loss.
- Remember to press the "Submit" button to complete the questionnaires.
B. Guidelines for conducting in-class SFQ (for instructors)
With the widespread use of mobile technology inside campus, ITSC has developed an integrated mobile application, HKUST iLearn App, which offers students a one-stop access to Canvas, iPRS and Student Feedback Questionnaires (SFQ). Currently the app is available on:
Users of mobile phones and tablets other than these two platforms (such as Blackberry or Windows Mobile) can also complete SFQ surveys by going to the SFQ Mobile Website
for a more mobile-device-friendly interface. With this mobile app, instructors can ask students to complete the SFQ surveys in class. This section aims to provide some information and guidelines on how to conduct SFQ surveys in class using mobile apps effectively.
Preparation before conducting SFQ in class
During the class
- Check the availability of the Wi-Fi network
Basically all teaching venues, library and laboratories in HKUST are covered by campus Wi-Fi (i.e. eduroam). However, if you are conducting SFQ in other campus locations Note, please check the Wi-Fi coverage in advance.
- Make sure the SFQ survey of your section is open for data collection
If you plan to conduct your survey outside the scheduled survey period, please update the survey period through the administrative staff of your department or OIR staff.
- Inform students
Let students know in advance of your plan to conduct the SFQ in class. Remind them to install HKUST iLearn App on their mobile devices beforehand. The app can be easily searched by keywords "HKUST iLearn" in Apple App Store and Google Play Store.
- Allocate enough time for students to complete SFQ
To complete a standard SFQ survey, students would need about 5-10 minutes. If you have more than one SFQ survey you need students to complete, you would probably need to allocate an additional 5 minutes for each extra survey.
- Check out the survey ID
Students often have to fill in more than one SFQ survey. To help students find the SFQ survey of your section, you need to let them know the survey ID of your section. Each SFQ survey has a unique survey ID (For example, for PHYS 1001 L1, the ID would probably be like this: PHYS-1001-L01-SI.). If you are not sure what the survey ID is, please contact the administrative staff of your department or OIR staff.
After conducting SFQ
- Before the students complete the SFQ survey, explain to students the purpose of the evaluation and enlists their co-operation. Assure the students that no individual identity will be disclosed during reporting.
- Let the students know the ID of the SFQ survey of your section. Tell them to find it from the list of survey IDs in their mobile app / webpage.
- Ask students to login to the HKUST iLearn App / Mobile website using their ITSC accounts.
Students can complete SFQ via either of the following channels:
- HKUST iLearn App (for users of Apple iOS or Google Android only); OR
- SFQ Mobile Website - For users who have not installed HKUST iLearn App, or devices not using iOS and Android
- Leave the room while the students start to complete the questionnaire. Students usually would take about 5-10 minutes to complete a standard SFQ survey.
- You can also refer to some the FAQs about conducting in-class SFQ data collection.
The survey remains open until it reaches the end of the survey period. Hence, students who did not complete the survey in class can still complete the surveys after classes. They will also be reminded regularly through emails to complete SFQ if they have not done so.
Enquiries and Support
Should you have any enquiries, please feel free to contact the SFQ Support Team by email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
or by phone (Tel: 2358 8916)
You can visit the HKUST Hotspot Locations webpage
for a detailed list of Wi-Fi coverage.
Please note that Wi-Fi is available at HKUST Business School Central.